- Windows Aero, Windows Flip 3D navigation, Scheduled and Network
Backup, Windows Meeting Space, and Tablet Technology are available
in Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Business, and Windows
- Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption and Complete PC Backup and
Restore are available in Windows Vista Ultimate. [And... Windows
- Not all Windows Vista features will be available for use on all
Windows Vista Capable PCs. All Windows Vista Capable PCs upgraded to
Windows Vista will be able to run the core experiences of Windows
Vista, such as innovations in organizing and finding information,
security, and reliability. Some features—such as the new Windows
Aero user interface—available in certain editions of Windows Vista
require advanced or additional hardware.
- Domain Join, Group Policy support, Windows Fax and Scan,
Encrypting File System (EFS), Shadow Copy, Corporate Roaming,
Offline Files and Folders, and Remote Desktop are available in
Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate.
- Initiating e-mail from within Windows Photo Gallery will launch
a photo e-mail if Windows Live Mail is your default mail
application. If Windows Live Mail is not your default mail
application, initiating e-mail from within Photo Gallery will enable
the resizing and attachment of photos as e-mail attachments using
your default mail client.
- Premium Windows Vista games, such as Chess Titans, Mahjong
Titans, Purble Place, and Inkball, are available in Windows Vista
Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate.
- For a video conversation with Windows Live Messenger, you and
your contact will need web cameras and speakers or a headset and
broadband internet access.
- Internet service provider subscription or other service fees may
- Editions of Windows Vista designated as 'N' or 'KN' versions
includes the same functionality as the corresponding standard
Windows Vista editions, except that they do not include Windows
Media Player and related technologies such as Windows Movie Maker.
You will need to separately install a media player in order to play
or create audio CDs, media files, or personal videos; organize media
library content; create playlists; transfer media to portable media
players; share photos on a home network; or perform other media
- The ability to use the Multilingual User Interface feature to
deploy a single worldwide image with all Windows user interface
languages is available only in the Enterprise and Ultimate editions.
TechNet for details.
- Windows Media Center is available in Windows Vista Home Premium
and Windows Vista Ultimate. TV playback and recording features
require an integrated or external USB TV tuner. Supports up to two
TV tuners in all supported regions subject to Windows Vista
compatibility with local TV standards; additional DTV/HDTV tuner
support is available in the U.S. and South Korea with compatible
hardware. To enjoy all the benefits of Windows Media Center,
Internet access is recommended; for some features, such as the
Microsoft Electronic Programming Guide, it is required. Internet
service provider subscription or other service fees may apply.
Microsoft Electronic Programming Guide is not available in all
regions or countries. DVD burning, TV features, and remote control
support may vary by manufacturer and/or require additional
purchases. Support for the Media Center Extender or Xbox 360 will
require a wired or wireless home network and additional compatible
- Additional compatible networking equipment may be required to
set up or access a wired or wireless home network.
- Some Windows Live OneCare services are not available in all
markets. See the Windows Live
OneCare website for complete details and offer availability.
Windows Live OneCare Family Safety Settings contacts list limits the
child to communicate with approved contacts only when the child uses
Windows Live Messenger, Windows Live Spaces, and Windows Live
- To place a PC-to-PC call, both users must have Messenger
installed, a compatible microphone and speakers or a headset, and
Internet access (webcam and broadband required for video).
Computer-to-phone calling can be used for placing outgoing calls
only. Recipients may be charged a fee by their mobile provider to
receive calls. The ability to call phones is a pay service provided
by a third party. If this is your first call from Windows Live
Messenger, click the Learn More button first and complete the signup
- Scheduled and Network Backup is available in Windows Vista Home
Premium, Windows Vista Business, and Windows Vista Ultimate.
- Windows SideShow is available in Windows Vista Home Premium,
Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, and Windows Vista
- Windows DVD Maker, HD support for Windows Movie Maker, Chess
Titans, and Mahjong Titans are available in Windows Vista Home
Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate.
- Requires a microphone and speakers or headset (webcam and
broadband connection for video).